Have you ever wondered what the best floor for a house is? If you don’t know what types of floors you should buy for your home, we will clear all your doubts in this article.
Not only will we tell you the recommended material for each environment in your home, but we will also give you some tips to make the best decision.
Type of floors to design your environments
Choosing the types of floors for your home depends, on the one hand, on the design style of the spaces and, on the other, on the amount of traffic they receive each day. Don’t worry! We are going to tell you which are the best options for each environment of your home.
Floors for rooms
The rooms are one of the environments that most influence your quality of life. Therefore, the types of floors you choose must make you feel relaxed and comfortable.
we recommend that you use wood effect floors. This type of cladding, as well as natural wood, generates a feeling of warmth in environments and is aesthetically elegant and comfortable to walk on.
In addition, one of its best attributes is that it does not require as much care as natural wood floors—the latter need at least annual maintenance to protect them from the sun and humidity.
If you don’t know what types of floors to choose, here we suggest two options for wood-effect floors that are very resistant:
- Photolaminated floors (or laminate floors ): are made of wood chipboard that can be MDF or HDF. In addition, they have a film on their surface that keeps the material in good condition. This is an incredible option if you are looking for types of cheap floors for houses. Look at the photo laminated floors that you find in our Duomo store!
- Engineered floors are built by joining several layers of wood, so they are more resistant than natural wood. In addition, they are easy to install and can be polished. However, compared to other types of floors, such as photo laminated, its economic value is one of the highest.
If you do not want to use any of the options we gave you, but you want to give a wood effect to this home environment, there are the satin Lapacho (porcelain tile) and the Aequa Tur Natural (porcelain tile).
Types of floors for bathrooms and kitchens
In addition to the rooms, other areas of your home that have light traffic are bathrooms and kitchens, but there is an additional factor that you must consider: humidity management.
For this reason, ceramic is one of the preferred types of floors for these spaces.
However, of the ceramic floors on the market, we recommend those glazed or enamelled since they absorb less water and do not break so easily.
For you to make a better decision, discover below the types of ceramics for floors that you can use in these spaces of your house:
- Tiles: they have a glazed layer that helps reduce their porosity so that they can be used in bathrooms and swimming pools.
- 2. Stoneware: it is one of the most resistant types of ceramics, and you can find it in:
Natural stoneware is often confused with clay tiles due to its tonality, but they have better quality. They look good in country houses.
- Enamelled stoneware: as its name indicates, it has a layer of enamel that reduces water absorption.
- Porcelain stoneware: unlike the other two types of ceramics, it is exposed to higher temperatures, making it much more resistant. In addition, it offers a catalogue of designs that include brick-like effects and wood effects with a matte or satin finish.
Living and dining room
As these environments are of medium traffic, they need floors of high resistance. This is one of the main reasons to have porcelain tile. In addition to what we mentioned, the advantage of this material is that it is less porous than ceramic for floors.
If you are thinking of incorporating them into your home, here are some of the types of porcelain tiles for floors most used in interior design :
- Wood effect: they work well for interior designs in a nordic or japan style.
- Marble effect: this material is essential if you want to create a Mediterranean-style design in your home.
- Metal effect: if you like the grandeur of the industrial style, the types of metallic floors are what you are looking for.
- Brick effect: they can generate a display of more rustic finishes.
- Matte effect: they can be used for minimalist home environments.
- Decorated porcelain: for its style, it can go in line with a vintage design or with a retro style.
Types of floors for outdoor environments
Floors for exterior cladding are characterized by being highly resistant and because they quickly adapt to extreme sun and water conditions.
For this reason, terraces, patios and outdoor social spaces also look good on porcelain tile flooring. Which ones are indicated?
- Rustic or semi-rustic porcelain tile: if you are looking for types of floors that are durable and have a harmonious combination with your garden or patio, this porcelain tile is ideal. Especially if it is a stone type, do not forget that rustic porcelain tiles are also an incredible option for walls, swimming pools and terraces.
- Satin Porcelain: This is one of the types of flooring for outdoor social areas. In addition to giving elegance, it is effortless to maintain but does not stain or scratch!
- Polished Porcelain Tile: This type of porcelain tile stands out because it is coated with a protective layer of mirror shine. It is suggested that these flooring materials be used in arid spaces to prevent falls.
Other types of outdoor floors
Apart from these, there are other trendy types of outdoor flooring. Have you heard about concrete floors? It is a super-resistant material, just like porcelain. These are two of the most well-known types:
- Imprinted or Stamped Concrete can include different patterns, textures, and colour palettes.
- Polished concrete (troweled): due to its production process, it includes some crystals and has a shiny effect, so it can also be used in interior spaces, either on floors or walls. Generate a retro effect!
One of the disadvantages of this material is that it requires a professional for its application; otherwise, the expected result will not be obtained.
This is why many people prefer porcelain with a substantial effect. It is visually very similar and can provide the same functionality at a lower cost.
How to choose floors for modern houses?
Here we give you some tips so you can choose the best types of floors and give your home a new look. Take note!
- Tips for choosing to floor for modern bathrooms focus on size. If the space is tiny, do not use large tiles. Instead, go for light-coloured tiles or mosaics to give a feeling of spaciousness and elegance.
- Floor measurements do matter. The larger the format, the fewer joints they will have and cleaning will be favoured. However, your choice will depend on the size and lighting of the space.
- Cleaning is also essential. Keep in mind that shiny floors show more dirt than matte floors.
- For minimalist houses to be cosy, use a dark colour palette on the floors.